Friday, June 7, 2013

Jesus, Jesus, Only Jesus

What: This hymn appears in TLH 343, praying that Jesus will be done in all things.
Who: Ludämiliä Elisabeth Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt was a Lutheran hymn-writer in the 1600's. Although she wrote 206 hymns, none are in LSB. Besides Crull's translation of this hymn, Matthew Carver's edition of Walther's Hymnal includes two more, all of which "show her to have been of a deeply pious nature, and of intense love to Jesus." (Julian, Dictionary of Hymnology)
Changes: I have compiled a translation from a few different sources, including Crull's from TLH, updating the language, of course.
Note: I have restored the original German's acrostic J-E-S-U-S.
Tune: TLH assigns it its own tune, but it has also been associated with REGENT SQUARE, LSB 924, with the penultimate phrase slightly altered.

Jesus, Jesus, only Jesus
Can my heartfelt longing still.
Without Him my soul is lonely;
He alone shall rule my will.
For my heart prays this alone:
Jesus, let Your will be done.

Ever shall I live for Jesus,
Him alone I wish to see.
I am giving unto Jesus
What in love He gave to me.
Jesus' blood my guilt atones.
Jesus, let Your will be done.

Should a thing become my treasure,
Howsoever dear it be,
If it does not give You pleasure,
Take it, Jesus, hastily;
Only You shall fill the throne.
Jesus, let Your will be done.

Unto me bestow Your favor,
So that I Your wish fulfill.
In me, thru me, with me ever,
Blessed Jesus, do Your will.
Call me when my time has come.
Jesus, let Your will be done.

Savior, be to You uplifted
Songs that praise Your wondrous love.
May my thankful heart be gifted
With sweet music from above.
Jesus, be my joy alone.
Jesus, let Your will be done.
Jesus, Jesus, nicht als Jesus
Ludämiliä Elisabeth Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt
Tr. comp.

No comments:

Search This Blog