Sunday, June 16, 2013

In Christ Are Joy and Gladness

What: I recently bought "Hymns and Spiritual Songs from the North: Nordic Christians Sing Their Faith," a hymnal edited by Gracia Grindal. She gathers hymns from the north lands and either translates them, edits translations of them, or slightly alters translations of them, the latest being what I assume she did with this hymn. It confesses that although we have trials in this world, we also have Christ, who is far better.
Who: Johan Nordahl Brun (1745-1816) was a Norwegian Lutheran bishop, who said of his hymns, "Our divine worship is that garden from which I have gathered my flowers.” (Handbook to the Lutheran Hymnal). He is better known for his hymn, How Blest Are They Who Hear God's Word, TLH 48.
Changes: In her book, Grindal has a few alterations to Smeby's original translation, and I have made a few more changes of my own, although I have also undone a couple of her changes.
The main thing I did was change the title from "In Heav'n Is Joy and Gladness," since I thought it to be a little too sentimental and grammatically incorrect.
Tune: The meter is 76 76 D. The Lutheran Hymnary pairs it with an odd tune by Goudimel, Evangelical Lutheran Hymnary pairs it with HERZLICH TUTH MICH VERLANGEN (O Sacred Head, Now Wounded), and Grindal pairs it with an easily learned Norwegian folk tune, which would my preference. For those without this book, however, I suggest pairing it with IST GOTT FUR MICH, LSB 724 (If God Himself Be for Me), since the text deals with similar themes.

In Christ are joy and gladness,
Yet while I linger here
I must endure great hardships
And suffer through each tear.
For though there are great trials
That haunt the Savior's bride,
I will live through this darkness,
For with me Christ abides.

Though some prefer this desert
And find their joy on earth.
I'll gladly bear my sorrow
And sow in bitter tears.
Then I will reap in gladness
And eye the citadel,
Where, free from care and sorrow,
Forever I shall dwell.

I shall soon see my Jesus,
My Hope, my Joy, my Stay.
The crosses I must suffer
He soon will take away.
Then nothing more shall grieve me,
And no adversity
Shall take away my gladness
When Jesus' face I see.
Hos Gud er evig glæde
J.H. Brun
Tr. O.H. Smeby, alt.

No comments:

Search This Blog