Friday, March 29, 2013

I Die, but What Is Death to Me?

What: This hymn, sung by one dying, beautifully confesses the biblical understanding of death.
Who: The hymn is anonymous, but likely written by the Lutheran, Rev. John C. Kunze. It is found in A Hymnal and Prayer-Book for the Use of Such Congregations as Use the English Language, 1795.
Changes: I made one or two tweaks for flow.
Note: 'Members' means 'limbs' or 'body parts.' Breaker's trumpet is a twofold reference to Micah 2:13 and I Corinthians 15:52.
Tune: I suggest HAMBURG, LSB 425.

I die, but what is death to me?
Triumphant is my surety.
The grave shall keep the dross of sin,
And sinless I shall rise again.

My Savior in the day of grief
Gained me this Sabbath of relief,
To wait for what no eyes have seen:
The glorious renovated scene.

The grave is the sanctuary
That stops the restless enemy.
Sleep, sleep, O members, with good grace:
Your Head has sanctified the place.

Soon will the Breaker's trumpet sound,
And ye shall leave this hiding ground,
To grace in ropes of life and flame
The marriage of the slaughtered Lamb.
John C. Kunze?, alt

No comments:

Search This Blog