Friday, January 6, 2012

On this Blest Epiphany

What: Basically, this hymn is a prayer to Jesus, that He accept and sanctify the poor singer's "gifts" offered Him in the Divine Service. 
Who: Erdmann Neumeister was a Lutheran hymnwriter who lived around the same time as Bach. He also wrote "Jesus Sinners Doth Receive" and the newly translated, "God's Own Child, I Gladly Say It."
Changes: This translation is largely inspired by and edited from Emanuel Cronenwett's translation in the Evangelical Lutheran Hymnal (#52). The translation below should be much more faithful to the original German.
Notes: In the original German the last line is a clear reference to "Jesus sinners doth receive." Special thanks to James Prothro, fellow graduate of CTX and fellow student here at the Sem, for helping me muddle thru the German. Lastly, I have included an alternate translation  of st. 3 for those singers neither at church nor knowing the word 'sate.'
Tune: The meter is 78 78 77 and the ELHal has JESUS NIMMT DIE SÜNDER AN, Jesus Sinners Doth Receive, LSB 609.

On this blest Epiphany
I have gifts for You, dear Jesus.
I would serve You willingly
Where You first serve me with graces.
In Your mercy, Lord, receive
What gifts I, a beggar, give.

Take the gold of faithO Lord
It is only what You gave me
By Your Spirit and Your Word
In the water, for to save me.
Try it, make it pure from dross
In the furnace of the cross.

Take the frankincense of prayer 
And in mercy let it sate You.
As my hands rise in the air,
May this sacrifice elate You.
Hear me when I pray, O Lord
And Your "Yea, Amen!" afford.

Take the bitter myrrh of rue;
How my sins are great and grievous!
You alone are good and true,
Source of healing and forgiveness.
Lord, I praise You and believe 
Jesus my gifts doth receive.
Erdmann Neumeister
Tr. comp.

Take the frankincense of prayer;
Let it please You, I implore You.
May my hands rise in the air
As a sacrifice before You.
Hear me when I pray, O Lord
And Your "Yea, Amen!" afford.

No comments:

Search This Blog