Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Thank God! My Jesus Cleanses Me

What: This hymn is for the Presentation of Christ, when Jesus has just been circumcised and Mary has just been purified. The hymnwriter, Johann Olearius, brilliantly twists the images of the day: Christ's shed blood purifies us.
Who: The main translator, August Crull, was an LCMS pastor who put together an hymnal in 1884, before working on the LCMS's first English hymnal, the Evangelical Lutheran Hymn-Book. This hymn is found there, as # 189.
Note: Mark the Small Catechism allusion in verse 1. Also, note that 'Simeon' has 3 syllables.
Changes: I've updated the text a little.
Tune: The meter is 87 87 887 and ELHB has ES IST DAS HEIL (Salvation Unto Us Has Come)

Thank God! My Jesus cleanses me
From all sins I committed,
He paid my debt and set me free,
So now I am acquitted.

I trust in Jesus' righteousness,
His innocence and blessedness
Are now my life and treasure.


Why should I grieve? He Who fulfilled,
The Law, so to release us,
He Who the Father's wrath has stilled
By His own death, this Jesus

Still lives and ev'rything He owns
He gives to me thru faith alone;
Is there a greater treasure?

Now I, like Simeon, can end
My life in peace and gladness,
And to my God I can commend
My spirit without sadness;
For when I shut my weary eyes,
My death will mean I see the Christ
And feel the bliss of heaven.

Lord, may I always be prepared,
Upon Your grace relying!
Oh, keep me in Your favor here,
So I am Yours when dying;
Then I will cry, with cheerful faith
In Him, Who, dying, conquered death,
"Come Jesus! Lord, come quickly!"
Gott Lob! mein Jesus macht mich rein
Johann Olearius
Tr. comp

No comments:

Search This Blog