Thursday, August 11, 2011

Christ's Crimson Blood and Righteousness

Who: The Reformer, Martin Luther, held that hymns are more than just songs of praise to God. In fact, since music helps us remember the lyrics better, hymns should teach the faith. Emanuel Cronenwett continued this tradition in the hymn below. It's a Lutheran alternative to the more famous translation by John Wesley (Jesus, Thy Blood and Righteousness, LSB 563). The original hymnwriter was Count Nikolaus von Zinzendorf.
What: (new category I'm trying) This hymn teaches that even if we could become sinless (as some claim), we would still need Jesus' grace.
Note: This hymn is a "cento," meaning only some of the original verses have been translated.
Changes: none
Tune: As in the LSB, the tune should be ST. CRISPIN.



Christ's crimson blood and righteousness
My glory are and spotless dress:
In this before my God I'll stand
And enter heav'n, my Father's land.

And should I thru Christ's merits prove
Yet e'er so faithful in my love,
That I could keep from wrong alway
And sin not, to my dying day,

Still would I, when I Christ shall see,
Not think of zeal or piety,
But this: a sinner nears the throne
Whose plea for life is grace alone.

Be praised, O Jesus, without end,
That Thou from heaven didst descend,
And hast for me a ransom paid,
For all a full atonement made.


Christi Blut und Gerechtigkeit
Count Nikolas von Zinzendorf
Tr. E. Cronenwett

No comments:

Search This Blog