Friday, March 7, 2014

Lord Jesus Christ, Your Precious Blood

What: This hymn is pretty much your standard Lutheran Lenten hymn. The writer called it a "Meditation on the Precious Blood of Jesus Christ."
Who: Johann Olearius was a Lutheran hymnologist who lived in the 1600's. He is known for a whole lot of hymns, including "Comfort, Comfort, Ye My People."
Changes: I've combined, updated, and altered the translations of C.H.L. Schuette of the old Ohio Synod and A.T. Russell of the Church of England.
Tune: The meter is LM. The most common tune is "Renew Me, O Eternal Light," LSB 704, but it does have a proper tune, given here.


Lord Jesus Christ, Your precious blood
Is to my soul the highest good:
It gives my sins the perfect cure,
Renews my life, and makes me pure.

Your blood, my spotless glorious dress,
Your innocence, my righteousness:
Before my God I pardoned stand,
And enter, crowned, the heav'nly land.

Lord Jesus Christ, God's only Son,
My Comfort, Health, and Mercy-Throne,
Your precious blood, Your quick'ning pow'r
Renews my spirit ev'ry hour.

Lord, keep me, in my final breath,
From fearing Satan, hell, or death.
But let this thought relieve my soul:
Your blood has made me pure and whole!

Herr Jesu Christ, dein theures Blut
J. Olearius
Tr. comp.

No comments:

Search This Blog