Monday, December 24, 2012

I Come from Heaven High to Tell

What: This hymn is another Wedderburn translation, this time their version of "From Heaven Above."
Who: The Wedderburns were a family of Scottish Reformers.
Changes: I've edited this heavily. Since verse 5 just couldn't be updated or metered without major trauma, I have left it out. Because of the Scottish dialect, it's actually easier to use the 'you' form than the 'thou' form.
Note: A 'Balulalow' is an old word meaning 'cradle song' or 'lullaby.' 'Celsitude' apparently means 'heavenly-ness.' 'Swithe' means 'strong' or 'sure.'
Tune: The traditional Lutheran tune is VOM HIMMEL HOCH, LSB 358; this is the traditional Scottish tune.

1. I come from heaven high to tell
The gladdest news that e'er befell:
To you these tidings true I bring,
And I will of them say and sing.

2. This day to you is born a Child,
Of Mary meak and virgin mild;
This blessed boy, so sweet and kind
Shall give you joy of heart and mind.

3. It is the Lord Christ, God and man,
He will do for you what He can;
He will Himself your Saviour be
From sin and hell, to make you free.

4. He is our only Salvation
From everlasting damnation,
That you may reign in joy and bliss,
Forever more in heav'n with His.

6. Let us rejoice, now, and be blithe
And with the shepherds go full swithe,
See what God of His grace has done
Thru Christ to bring us to His throne.

7. My soul and life, stand up and see
What lies now in a crib of tree;
What babe is that so good and fair?
It is the Christ, God's Son and Heir.

8. Now welcome, gracious God of might,
To sinners poor and vile, unright;
You come to save us from distress-
How can we thank Your gentleness?

9. O God, Who made the creatures all,
How have You now become so small,
That on the hay and straw You'd lie,
Among the oxen in a sty.

10. And were the world ten times as wide
With gold and stones on every side,
Unworthy yet it'd to You it'd be,
Below Your feet a stool to be.

11. Your kingly silk and royal rose
Are hay and simple swaddling clothes,
Wherein, O glory's greatest King,
As You in heav'n wear in your reign.

12. You took afflictions temporal
To make me rich perpetual;
For all the worldly wealth and good
Cannot enrich Your celsitude.

13. O, my dear Heart, young Jesus sweet,
Prepare Your bed in my spirit,
And I shall rock You in my heart,
And never more from You depart.

14. But I shall praise You evermore,
With carols sweet unto Your glor',
The knees of my heart shall I bow,
And sing that old Balulalow.

15. Glory to God eternally,
Who gave His only Son for me!
The angels sing for all to hear,
The gracious gift of this new year.
Vom Himmel hoch
Martin Luther,
Tr. J. Wedderburns, ed. MDS

No comments:

Search This Blog